Are you looking to redesign you landscape? If so, your first step is to choose between hardscape and softscape designs. Each one offers many benefits that can enhance the aesthetic appeal and integrity of your property.
What Is a Hardscape Design?
Hardscape landscaping can be defined as durable materials used to enhance or protect a property. These materials can involve stone, wood, brick, and concrete that can be used for pathways, retaining walls, and other permanent structures.
There are many types of hardscapes, including:
- Patios: When it comes to landscaping design in Brampton constructing patios is a popular hardscape project. Pavers, stones, bricks, and wood can be used to design a space for a patio table set, a bar, or lounge chairs.
- Walkways and driveways: Another popular hardscape project is to use concrete, stone, brick, crushed rock, or asphalt to install walkways and driveways.
- Retaining walls and fences: Installing a retaining wall where most needed on a property can protect the underlying soil and lush grass from erosion and damage. Meanwhile, installing a fence can double as a security measure and offer privacy.
- Outdoor kitchens: An outdoor kitchen built of bricks or stones can be a good investment in the property and provide the opportunity for an entertainment area.
- Water features: Adding fountains and man-made streams and ponds can improve the overall aesthetic of the property while enhancing the organic health of the ground.
Benefits of Incorporating Hardscapes in Your Landscape Design
Hardscapes help to protect and improve the health of the soil and grass while reducing erosion and damage to the property. They also offer the following benefits:
- Provide definition and organization to a landscape: Adding winding pathways, various dimensions of depth, and edging can enhance the property.
- Enhance safety and accessibility: Rock walls, crushed rock, and concrete barriers help to enhance the safety on the property by reducing the risk of erosion, especially in low lying areas of the property.
- Create usable space for outdoor activities: Landscapers in Brampton use varying hardscape objects and materials to create an inviting space for outdoor activities and entertainment.
- Increase the property value: Whether the property is up for sale or not, using attractive hardscape materials can increase the property value and be a good investment.
- Improve aesthetics and curb appeal: Adding a paved or crushed rock pathway to a garden bed or installing an attractive water fountain offers an aesthetically pleasing sight.
- Enhance outdoor living and entertainment spaces: To create a relaxing or entertaining atmosphere outside, hardscape objects are needed. These can include firepits or retaining walls that double as seating, navigating pathways, and outdoor kitchens.
- Low maintenance: Most property owners tend to use more hardscape designs than softscapes mainly due in part to the low maintenance and high durability. Unlike living things, these materials do not need watering, weeding, or trimming and are resilient to wind, rain, snow, and heat.
What Is a Softscape Design?
Softscape design refers to the use of natural and organic materials such as plants, flowers, trees, shrubs, and groundcover including mulch.
There are many types of softscapes, including:
- Plants, trees, and shrubs: Properties with existing older trees can be enhanced with the addition of complementing shrubs, trees, and plants.
- Flowers and ornamental grasses: Flower beds and types of ornamental grass species can be strategically placed around the property to enhance the beauty of the space while improving the health of the soil.
- Mulch and other groundcovers: Groundcovers such as flowering plants and mulch help to retain moisture, prevent weeds, and protect the roots from harmful environmental factors.
- Seasonal displays: To expand on the beauty of each season, using complementing softscape options such as winter greens or fall foliage can transform the property design.
Benefits of Incorporating Softscapes in Your Landscape Design
From curb appeal to the health of the general public, using trees, sod, and plants across the property improves the landscape design. They also offer the following benefits:
- Improve air quality: Plants and trees absorb carbon dioxide from the air and release oxygen into the air we breathe.
- Enhance the environment: The proper installation of specific trees and shrubs can protect the property from excessive water pooling, soil damage, and erosion.
- Improve aesthetic appeal: Various tree and flower species offer complementing textures, colours, shapes, and sizes to draw the eye to the design and style of the softscape materials.
- Improve mental health: Those with busy personal and work lives need an escape. For most people, this means relaxing in nature and being surrounded by lush green grass, flourishing trees, and blooming flowers.
- Increase property value: A property with well-maintained grounds and the right type of plants can attract potential buyers while adding to the property value in terms of beautifying the neighbourhood.
Hardscapes vs. Softscapes: How to Incorporate Both for the Perfect Balance in Your Landscape Design
Professional landscapers often use both type of designs—hardscapes and softscapes—to enhance an outdoor space. Combining hardscapes and softscapes can improve the functionality of the entire property.
Here are some tips for choosing the perfect hardscapes and softscapes for your property.
- Choose the right hardscape materials: Depending on the condition of the property, choosing the right hardscape materials can improve the health and the appearance of the area.
- Consider the functionality: Installing benches, water fountains, or rock walls can increase the functionality of the space. For instance, a retaining wall can be used for water control and as seating.
- Create a focal point: For the best landscape design, create a focal point on the property and style hardscapes and softscapes around this feature.
- Add lighting: Lit pathways and landscape can serve as a security and safety measure for your residential and commercial properties.
Contact FOREVER GREEN to Transform Your Landscape Today!
FOREVER GREEN LAWN & LANDSCAPE INC. offers commercial landscaping services that include the installation and maintenance of hardscape and softscape designs. Our professional services involve installation of stonework, shrubs, flowers, and irrigation systems. Contact us to book an onsite consultation for a functional and aesthetically pleasing landscape.